3. Juli 2015

The End

How will it be to live in a host family? … What do they ask me when I request my Visa? … What should I pack? … Will the other exchange students be nice? … How will school be? … Will my friends be the same when I come back and will my relationship last? …

All these questions and a lot more were in my head exactly a year ago in July of 2014, right before I took off for the greatest year of my life. It’s weird to look back and to realize that all the excitement about leaving home, speaking English, meeting new people and studying abroad is all gone. I’m done and I will never be able to go back to the way my life has been for the past ten months.
I don’t have to sum up my experience since who is reading this either knows my stories or reads my blog from time to time. Nevertheless I just want to mention some major events like Prom, Ring Ceremony, Thunder, Oaks, the Farm, or Basketball that would have never been possible for me in Germany.
But all this is just memories and it is hard to realize that Louisville and all these amazing people I call my friends and family now are still there. It’s even hard to believe I have ever been gone because nothing has changed here. Sometimes I even doubt that I have changed. But in some moments I know I have. Just because I’m not in the middle of everything anymore, calmer and I know what counts in life: the people who love you. And if they really love you they don’t have to judge you or talk behind your back. They also don’t just leave you in the dark because it’s better for them. I gained a lot of those friends during the past ten months and not to be around them every day anymore is so different, I think I am still not used to it.
I also learned that America has a lot of great things like football games, driving with 16, community service, yellow school busses, patriotism, respect and a ton of kindness but also weird rules and expectations, bad-informed people and really greasy food. It doesn’t matter how many bad things I experienced during this year, the U.S. will always have a crazy place in my heart.
I appreciate my family and friends and my little village, my school and our band on school so much more because I know how it is without that. Sometimes I just take a moment and hug the wall of my room or don’t care about the heat in the school bus or the annoying guys in school that get on my nerves – I just know that’s where I belong and where I will always come back to.
Getting used to my German life has been easier than I have expected and I don’t really have a culture shock. Maybe when I see how small everything is here or how bad some Germans think about America and that friendship just works differently here. I am pretty used to adapting to things now ;)

For all future exchange students: It won’t be easy! There will be some times when you are about to just get on a plane back to your home country or to throw everything in your room out of the window. And it hurts to be away from your friends and parents and you will count every single day until you get back but during that you don’t even realize how important your new life becomes to you. It’s not about travelling or shopping and it’s not a dream. Getting through this is hard work and definitely no vacation!!! But being an exchange student is a blessing and I recommend it to every person in my age. It is so great to experience a different culture and to learn a second language, I would never give away my experience for anything.

And what’s gonna happen now? I will finish school in 2017 and after that I would like to travel other countries and also come back to Louisville for some weeks. I am also thinking about some more studying abroad during college. If I can connect my love for cultures and languages with my job I will work in that branch. A really big goal is to keep contact with all my friends!! So just snapchat me from time to time or message me on facebook, you cannot imagine how happy you all would make me J
And finally: THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO READ THIS BLOG! I had about 8000 clicks in one year and for a typical exchange blog I think that’s quite great! Thanks for your support, it means a lot to me!

I am grateful for every person who is in my life/lives, thanks for everything.

Love,
Alina

Instagram @alinaake
Twitter @alinaake

Snapchat @bigali2.0

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen